Saturday, April 11, 2009

Southland vs. Harper's Island

Very odd is it to have 2 new dramas premiering on the same night, at the same time, so late in the season. This past Thursday we say the premiere of 2 dramas, both highly talked about. I got a chance to watch both of them (I DVRd Southland, and watched Harper's Island), and I can already tell you that both are very, very different.

If you're looking for a good mystery, Harper's Island is the way to go. Airing on CBS Thursdays at 10pm, this mystery-filled 13-week adventure is clearly a great show. I loved it the minute I started watching it. It has the movie feel to it, which makes it all worth the time. The writing is great, and you immediately jump into the action, trying to find who the killer is, and who the next victim will be. The concept is rather simple: guests come to a wedding, which just happens to be on a boat, where they'll go to Harper's Island, the once-quiet place where a string of murders occurred about 10 years back. Since then, old inhabitants of the island will come back, and a new murderer will evolve. I give this show props - it wasn't critically acclaimed before it premiered, and it wasn't expected to be anything more than a "time-slot hit." Whether it is those things or not are still undetermined, but from a fan's point of view, I loved watching this show, and I'll definitely be back next Thursday watching it.

Now onto Southland. This show was expected to hit from the beginning. For one, it got the cozy Thursday at 10pm slot on NBC, once taken by a little show called ER that aired there for 15 years. But, critics seemed to adore it. And in a time when NBC has very, very few hits on their hands, many thought this would be the show to help them get out of their rut. And, it very well could be. I watched it yesterday afternoon, and I was pleasantly surprised with it. It had the feel of an old cop show, similar to NYPD Blue or Chicago Hope, or shows like that. Although I'm not a huge fan, I found myself into the storylines, and wanting to see what happens next. A few things annoyed me, such as the irritating bleeping noise we got a few times without it, as well as the documentary-feel of it. I was expecting just a normal cop show, which is what I wanted, but instead, I was watching a mockumentary, and I can't tell you enough how much I hate mockumentaries.

In the end, I definitely have to give the props to Harper's Island - I can't wait until next week to see who'll die next (that's great, isn't it?). It was different from other CBS shows, which was also nice to see. The characters were likeable, and this has all the feel of a true mystery. Southland was also good, but for me, was a show I'd get tired of very easily. Maybe cop shows are just out at the moment, I don't know. Viewers seemed to react to both shows in a positive manner, which is definitely a plus for both. As both premiered to good ratings, next week will be the test to see which one viewers will come back to.

What are your thoughts on both new dramas? I'd love to hear them - post them below!

No comments:

Post a Comment