Tuesday, May 19, 2009

CBS News: Trace cancelled, Comedies Renewed

This has been a tough upfront week for many fans of many shows. And unfortunately, the bad news doesn't end. I'm hearing that Without a Trace has been cancelled by CBS, according to Ausiello. Apparently, they had one slot left, and it was between Without a Trace and Numb3rs. They decided to go with Friday staple Numb3rs after a very strong ending on Friday, which got 22 episodes, and was much less expensive to produce.

Overall, this is a shame. I don't see how CBS could cancel a show that just got over 13 million viewers for its season finale. It doesn't make sense to me.

Also goners: Eleventh Hour and The Unit. All 3 shows have many, many fans, and although I'm not fans of any of these 3 shows, I will console with you guys, because I understand what it feels like to get your favorite show cancelled. And, the only show that probably deserved a pink slip was The Unit. The other 2 should have been back.

Also, all on the bubble comedies have been renewed. How I Met Your Mother, Rules of Engagement, Old Christine, and Gary Unmarried have all been renewed for second seasons. I guess CBS' new comedy pilots were busts, besides Accidentally on Purpose. How I Met Your Mother and Old Christine are expected to get full seasons, while Rules and Gary will most likely get a 13 episode pickup. With ABC still riding the coattails of CBS about Old Christine, CBS would almost have to give it a full season if they wanted to keep it at all.

The only on the bubble show really left is Flashpoint. And it looks like CBS will have to make a choice by tomorrow whether to go with Medium, from NBC, which they produce, or Flashpoint, a Canadian production. CBS wants to keep Medium going for syndication value, and CBS will not have any say in the syndication of Flashpoint, so the obvious choice would be Medium, but who knows. If they did pick it up, I'm guessing it would go to Fridays at 9pm. They will announce their schedule tomorrow.

4 comments:

  1. CBS may have been shortsighted enough to cancel Eleventh Hour, but the Campaign to bring it back is not over. If you love EH like we do, check out this new link at our new site. There are still possibilities to save this show but we need each and every fan to help!

    http://forum.planet-hood.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=52

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what running a "Save . . ." Campaign is like, so even though I'm not a fan, I encourage every fan to take part!

    ReplyDelete